Since we moved here, I haven't met anyone. Granted, it's hard for me to get out sometimes and I've been pretty home-oriented. But I'm also getting a bit stir-crazy. I've been considering ways to get out and meet people and hopefully develop a few friendships. It's a little scary though, because it really is quite conservative here and I'm DEFINITELY not your average housewife.
Will and I are attending some Halloween shindig with his coworkers, and I'm considering attending the local Witches Ball. But those are one-shot events; I need to get involved in SOMETHING.
So, here's the plan:
1) Go to the Birmingham Witches Meet-up. At least I'll meet other pagans, but I have reservations. My tolerance level for fluffbunnies and BS is very low. I'm concerned as to whether I'll label myself "Pagan" or "Wiccan" and keep the fact that I'm an Alexandrian HPS to myself. In my past experience, as soon as people find out you're an initiate, they flock to you for teaching. Either that, or I'll be ostracized as an elitist BTW. We'll see. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and test the waters.
2) Check out the Buddhist Temple; maybe go to one of their book-reading groups. It's a Tibetan Buddhist temple, which wasn't what I thought I was looking for (I've always been drawn to Zen), but I have very high esteem for the Dalai Lama and it may be a cool place to check out. I like Buddhists...
3) I'm going to volunteer my services to the Humane Society as a dog trainer. I can work with either puppies or adult dogs and help socialize them and give them basic obedience training at the very least. If there are any dogs that have special issues (like Navarre), I'm reasonably sure I can bring them to an adoptable point. I like dogs more than most people, but I'm pretty sure I will also find folks to associate with, since we'd all be animal lovers.
4) Attend knit nights. I've "met" couple of local people on Ravelry; they both have pitbulls as well, so we have that in common.
5) Look into getting violin lessons. Since Liana isn't playing it, I might as well give it a whirl. I play three other instruments so I can read music and have a good ear...I hope I can pick it up as quickly as she did. At least, she can help me with some fingerings...
The last couple of posts from me have been "to-do" lists. I've never been a list maker before...